Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:02:51 +0200
From:      Michael Beckmann <michael@apfel.de>
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: problem with /usr/ports/lang/perl5.8

--On Freitag, 23. Juli 2004 16:38 +0300 Odhiambo Washington
<wash@wananchi.com> wrote:

> * Charlie Root <michael@apfel.de> [20040720 03:04]: wrote:
>> >
>> > Did you have an older version of perl-5.8 on that system?  You might
>> > find  it useful to pkg_delete p5-* and the older perl before building
>> > 5.8.4.
>>
>> I have the same problem. It is not solved by following your suggestion.
>>

> Hi Michael,
>
> Ever gotten a solution to the perl stuff??

Yes, the solution was to remove the old file
/usr/local/include/patchlevel.h . After that, I could build the perl 5.8.5
port just fine.

The solution was posted here:

<http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-perl/2004-July/000154.html>;

I guess the reason why -stable users are experiencing the problem is, that
they often have old upgraded systems which have stale files lying around.

Michael