Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:15:15 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DNS for virtual hosting

I need to configure local DNS in 4.0 RELEASE so that a local webserver
which is really "somewhere.net" can masquerade as "someplace_else.com",
and also allow mail for / from to be received  / sent on behalf of
"someplace_else.com". I know I've gotta do some messing around with
apache as well, but the documentation for that looks reasonably explicit
(says he before trying) .... however I figure the immediate issue is to get
the local DNS stuff sorted out before I get into apache.

I spent most of Sunday on the thing, reading the relevant part of "Complete
FreeBSD" but since I've never had to learn that stuff before its extremely
confusing. I got to the end of the section, added files etc as per
instructions,
but when I tested the installation it spat out about a thousand weird error
messages, so obviously there were some things not quite correct :)

O'Reilly's "TCP/IP Network Administration" has a chapter on the subject
and on first reading appears to be fairly straightforward, possibly more
suitable
than "Complete FreeBSD" to someone trying to learn DNS stuff from scratch,
however there isn't much about the relative differences between BIND4 &
BIND8, and for that matter I don't know what 4.0 RELEASE has.

"TCP/IP Network Administration" defines four styles of DNS setup, resolver
only, caching only, primary, & secondary, but doesn't provide much info
about
the implications of using each type. I assume I need to setup "primary" as
the
DNS server has to appear to the domain tribe in USA or wherever as a
"proper" DNS server. So far its refused to acknowledge the
"someplace_else.com" site
as a "proper" DNS server, but given the number of error messages produced
when
I run "named" I'm not particularly surprised. Is there anything else not
clearly spelled out thats involved in setting up the local stuff so it does
present as a "proper" DNS server to the domain name folk ??

Last question for Monday morning (in OZ) ... Is there something else more
explicit than "TCP/IP Network Administration" in the way of entry level
documentation on this area, bearing in mind that since there are only a
dozen or so machines on the local LAN / WAN, and only one "virtual host" I
only need the barest essentials to get the thing working ??