Date:      Wed, 2 Dec 1998 17:12:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      freebsd-questions account <question@namodn.com>
To:        Chris Martino <chrismar@peanut.readington.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound.....again! (yamaha OPL3)

Hmm..

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Chris Martino wrote:

> Ok...this is what I did:
>
> booted using -c, from the config> prompt typed:
>
> pnp 1 0 os enable
> pnp 1 0 irq0 10
> pnp 1 0 port0 0x220
> pnp 1 0 drq0 0
>
> Now, a dmesg shows:
>
> Probing for PnP devices:
> CSN 1 Vendor ID: YMH0800 [0x0008a865] Serial 0xffffffff
> PnP: override config for CSN 1 LDN 0 vend_id 0x0008a865
> Probing for devices on the ISA bus:
> pcm0 at 0x220 irq 10 drq 1 on isa
> Unknown card 0x0 0x0 -- hope it is SBPRO

That's weird (yet cool!).. seems to be letting you have pcm0 <shrug>

> cat /dev/sndstat shows:
> [chrismar@crazy /dev ] % cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (980215) Dec  2 1998 13:06:12
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <SoundBlaster Pro 3.1> at 0x220 irq 10 dma 1:1
>
> this all appears to be good right?  but, now when I try to cat an .au file
> to /dev/audio I get a message on the console that says:
>
> pcm1: unit not configured, perhaps you want pcm0 ?
>
> hmmm....any hints?

Hey, well I guess you can make the symlinks /dev/dsp, /dev/audio,
/dev/dspW got back to pointing to dsp0, audio0 and dspW0...

A quick way to check would be to
cat /dev/blah.au > /dev/audio0
since that's the real file.. sorry bout the confusion :)

-I- have to use pcm1 <snif>

@:-)

-rob
( www.namodn.com )