Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:34:22 -0700
From:      Greg Shenaut <greg@bogslab.ucdavis.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Desperate to shrink a partition

In message <10772.929618615@monkeys.com>, "Ronald F. Guilmette" cleopede:
>Now the problem:  When this system was setup (and partitioned) initially
>it had a MUCH bigger swap space than physical memory.  It has since had
>physical memory added however.  It now has 320MB physical and only a
>single 140MB swap partition setup for it.  There are NO free partitions
>and adding another drive to the thing now would be a MAJOR  hassle,
>and the people who are hosting it for me (far far away) probably will
>*not* want to even try doing that, even if I ship them a new/additional
>disk drive for the system.

Any chance of (1) having them pull some of the memory, or (2) creating
a debug kernel that ignores most of it?  (Of course, this may eliminate
the rebooting.)

Also, the traditional way to resize partitions is to go into single
user mode, do a backup of the world, fiddle the partitions, and
restore the world.  Sometimes if the data is extra-important, you
back it up twice.

-Greg Shenaut