Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 2006 12:20:35 +0100
From:      Daniel Thiele <dthiele@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org, "Daniel Thiele (gmx)" <dthiele@gmx.net>
Subject:   ACPI S3 and S5 Problem with HDD on ThinkPad R40

Hello,

I have been playing around with ACPI on my ThinkPad R40 (2722-BDG)
recently. Suspend to RAM and Soft Off seem to work fine except for one
thing. During S3 when the hard disk is supposed to be switched of it does
switch off, but I do not like the sound it makes at that point. This is
the same noise you get when switching off the notebook manually by force
by pressing the power button long enough. When I power off the notebook
using soft off (S5) you can observe the same problem.

The notebook powers off smoothly when I use APM to do so, but it would
be nice if I could use ACPI.

A SuSE Linux 9.3 LiveDVD with Kernel 2.6.11.4-20a-default that I found
in some magazine does not seem to have that problem and suspends and
powers off without making that noise, so the problem is probably not
hardware related.

Has someone else experienced the same problem or has a solution? Is
there something else I could try?

Here is what I tried so far:

I am booting with the acpi.ko and the acpi_ibm.ko kernel modules loaded
at boot time via /boot/loader.conf. I also tried switching off APIC by
using hint.apic.0.disabled="1" in /boot/loader.conf, but that seems not
to affect the problem. I tried hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff="0" too, but
again without any success. Using ACPI with debugging enabled by doing
"cd /sys/modules/acpi/acpi && make clean && make && make install"
results in an acpi.ko kernel module that makes the kernel panic during
boot:
link_elf: symbol db_readline undefined. Fatal trap 12: page fault ...

The machine is a ThinkPad R40 (2722-BDG) running FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0:
Sun Jan 1 19:08:23 CET 2006

Additional information about this machine can be found at the
following URL:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0023183/FreeBSD_R40/

acpi_sysctls:
all acpi related sysctls on that machine

dmesg_with_apic:
dmesg after a "boot -v" with APIC enabled

dmesg_without_apic:
dmesg after a "boot -v" with APIC disabled

system_console_S3_suspend_resume:
the messages on the system console (after booting with "boot -v") I get
during suspend and resume

r40-freebsd.asl:
ASL dump from that machine. Trying to compile this file results in 3
errors:

----
% iasl r40-freebsd.asl

Intel ACPI Component Architecture
ASL Optimizing Compiler / AML Disassembler version 20041119 [Jan  1 2006]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2004 Intel Corporation
Supports ACPI Specification Revision 2.0c

r40-freebsd.asl  6512:                 Field (U7CS, DWordAcc, NoLock,
Preserve)
Error    1047 -                                  ^ Access width is
greater than region size

r40-freebsd.asl  6514:                     PWKI,   1,
Error    1051 -                               ^ Access width of Field
Unit extends beyond region limit

r40-freebsd.asl  6515:                     PWUC,   6,
Error    1051 -                               ^ Access width of Field
Unit extends beyond region limit

ASL Input:  r40-freebsd.asl - 9213 lines, 304035 bytes, 4160 keywords
Compilation complete. 3 Errors, 0 Warnings, 0 Remarks, 1830 Optimizations
----

Best regards

Daniel Thiele