Date:      Wed, 12 Dec 2001 09:59:14 +0900
From:      shudo@computer.org
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Native, kernel and user-space threads

Hi,

I wanna be convinced of the meaning of `native' threads.

Currently, FreeBSD (release and stable) does not have a
threading mechanism implemented in kernel space. I
suppose native threads you refer is a threads library
which have POSIX threads API and implemented in user
space. Is this true?

If so, the present difference between native threads and
green threads seems to be their own APIs. Both of them
are user-space threading libraries. Migration to the
POSIX interface is worth much to support forthcoming
Java 2 SDK 1.4. But, what are real present merits of
native threads without kernel threading for JDK users?

I have been satisfied by green threads implementations
on Linux and FreeBSD while developing a JIT compiler for
them over three years. It performs faster than Linux
(kernel) threads with many applications because it is
implemented in user space. I do not have SMP machines :)

  Kazuyuki Shudo	shudo@computer.org	http://www.shudo.net/