Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 16:59:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      mi@aldan.algebra.com
To:        David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rdist and pam

On 28 Jul, David Malone wrote:

= and ssh seems to add quite alot to the RTT for these small
= transactions, so rdist spends most of it's time waiting. We've changed
= this to do:
=
= 	Tell me about file blah
= 	Tell me about file wibble
= 	.
= 	.
= 	Now process the responses
=
= It's much like the SMTP pipelining changes. It's nice 'cos it needs no
= protocol changes, and just requires that you avoid deadlocks by checking
= for data to be read before writing. Out nightly rdisting jobs have gone
= from about 5 hours down to a bit over 1 (over ssh). I think you also see
= significant gains when using rsh, but I haven't done any measurements
= yet. I'm trying to write this up....

Cool. I'm sure, you rdist can update multiple servers in parallel, but
just wanted to bring this up for the record...

	-mi