Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 23:29:51 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
Subject:   Re: which bittorrent client

On Monday 24 January 2005 10:07 pm, Jason Henson <jason@ec.rr.com>
wrote:
> On 01/24/05 20:10:35, Brian John wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I would like some advice on which Bittorrent client to use.  I
> > really like Azureus, but I always get OutOfMemoryException's and it
> > takes up like 300 MB of memory sometimes.  Is there a more
> > lightweight client that has the main features of Azureus
> > (priorities, auto-resuming)? What does everyone on this list use?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
>  py24-BitTorrent-devel-3.9.0_4,1  Is what I have.  seems to work fine
> for me.

I highly recommend ctorrent, a client written entirely in C. It's very
fast, small and efficient. It's quite basic - you have to run a
separate process for each torrent - but you can call it from something
else to further customize it. It doesn't do priorities as such (not
exactly - you can set max, min peers, rate, etc., for each torrent) or
auto-resume, but this could be set fairly easily by writing it into a
script. The best thing is that it just works, and as efficiently as
possible.

- jt