Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 19:25:58 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Subject:   Re: ports.conf

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 05:36:39PM -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
> and /etc/make.conf is
> really a part of the building /usr/src, so as such should not contain
> configuration from /usr/ports.

No is not.  Things in /etc/make.conf affect *EVERY* invocation of make.
Don't even try to tell me otherwise unless you've supplied a patch that
determines if you are w/in the logical equivalent of /usr/src to process
the contents of /etc/make.conf.

/etc is for the *machine*.  If you want something just for /usr/src, then
we should have a /usr/src/worldmake.conf

> Would something like /etc/ports.conf be acceptable?  That way it can be
> modified separately from the configuration for the main /usr/src tree,

Yes.  Not because it separates things from knobs for /usr/src, but
because it separates things logically.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)