Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:41:59 -0500
From:      "Murphy, Patrick" <murphyp1@ais.msu.edu>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Getting the right dependencies when making a package from a port  build

I am building packages from the ports distribution 4-stable branch.  I have
built and installed the XFree86-4.1.0_12 port, and made a package from it.
I can take this package to another machine and it installs fine.  However,
if I build another port that relies on XFree86 and package it, it will not
apply normally to another machine.  The pkg_add command returns a error
like:

Command# pkg_add xxgdb-1.12.tgz
 pkg_add: could not find package imake-4.1.0_2 !
 pkg_add: could not find package XFree86-libraries-4.1.0_1 !

A look at pkg_info shows X is installed:

Command# pkg_info
XFree86-4.1.0_12    X11R6.5/XFree86 core distribution (complete)

I can use the "pkg_add -f xxgdb-1.12.tgz" to force the installation, but
this does not work properly for bringing in dependencies.  For instance, if
I try to install the kde2 package I get output like:

Command# pkg_add kde-2.2.2.tgz
 pkg_add: could not find package imake-4.1.0_2 !
 pkg_add: could not find package XFree86-libraries-4.1.0_1 !
 pkg_add: autoload of dependency
`/nfs/ais/FreeBSD/4-stable-packages/kdelibs-2.2.2_2.tgz' failed!
 pkg_add: could not find package imake-4.1.0_2 !
 pkg_add: could not find package XFree86-libraries-4.1.0_1 !

Adding the "-f" flag to this pkg_add does force "kde-2.2.2" to be installed,
but the "force" flag was not propagated to the dependent packages.

So, down to the root question.  Is there a way to propagate the force, or to
get pkg_add to recognize that since XFree86-4.1.0_12 is installed that the
requirement for "imake" and the "xfree libraries" has really been met?  Is
there some option on the "make package" command when building the port to
get the proper dependency?

Patrick Murphy
Chief Technologist
Administrative Information Services