Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 14:25:47 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Don Sutter <drs@hevanet.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Change root shell

Don Sutter wrote:

> I'm trying to figure out how to change the shell from csh to bash when I
> login as root.  Just a small hint, por favor?

	I would not change the shell itself, since having root's login shell be
something other than sh or csh (the two shells compiled and installed by
the system) can lead to big problems. One way to make sure that you can
always log in, but to make your preferred shell available is to add a
command to exec your preferred shell to your login .file. So, for example
if root's login shell is /bin/sh, but I prefer bash, I put the following in
at the very end of /root/.profile:

if [ -x /usr/local/bin/bash ]; then
  exec /usr/local/bin/bash
fi

You can do the same thing for csh by adding a similar test to /root/.login,
in fact there is an example there that performs the same test for fortune,
just using a different syntax.

	For the benefit of those who said, "I just copy my shell to /bin and I
never have any problems," that only works if your shell is compiled static.
If it's compiled dynamic and the libraries are in /usr/lib, you are still
out of luck if you can't mount /usr.

Hope this helps,

Doug