Date:      Sat, 01 Feb 1997 13:23:41 -0700
From:      Phil Humpherys <humphery@beagle.imall.com>
To:        jgrosch@sirius.com
Cc:        grog@lemis.de, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: timezone problem

thanks!

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 10:50:25 -0800 (PST) Josef Grosch writes
+--------------------

| >Greg,
| >
| >I tried exactly what you suggested below, and it didn't work.
| >

| >On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 13:48:40 +0100 (MET) Greg Lehey writes
| >+--------------------

| >|
| >| I'm guessing you're used to System V, where time zones are an idea in
| >| the mind of the environment.  In FreeBSD, they're determined by the
| >| contents of the file /etc/localtime.  To set up your local time zone,
| >| do:
| >|
| >| 1.  If "MST" is an abbreviation for "Mountain Standard Time", copy the
| >|     contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Denver to /etc/localtime.
| >|
| >| 2.  If "MST" is an abbreviation for "Middle European Summer Time",
| >|     copy the contents of /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin to
| >|     /etc/localtime.
| >|
| >| /etc/localtime also takes care of daylight savings time transitions.
| >| No work required.
| >|
| >| Greg
| >|

| You need to have a touch file, "/etc/wall_cmos_clock". This tells the
| system that the CMOS clock is set to local time not Zulu. RTFM adjkerntz(8)
|

| Josef
|
| --
| Josef Grosch       | Laugh while you can, monkey boy ! |    FreeBSD 2.1.6
| jgrosch@sirius.com |          - John Warfin -          | UNIX for the masses

-pH

Phil Humpherys                    Email:  ph@imall.com
Systems Administrator             http://ph.imall.com/
iMALL, Inc.                       Office:  +1.801.377.0899
                                   Pager:  +1.801.276.3494
"[Stairway to Heaven] is a nice, pleasant, well-meaning,
naive, little song. Very English. It's not the definitive
Led Zeppelin song. 'Kashmir' is."

Robert Plant - Rolling Stone - 24th. March 1988