Date:      Wed, 8 May 2002 00:18:32 -0700
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
Cc:        Nathan Hawkins <utsl@quic.net>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscall changes to deal with 32->64 changes.

On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 11:28:37PM -0700, Peter Wemm wrote:

> > >Why?  Just to follow the NIH herd?  The EI_OSABI and EI_ABIVERSION fields
> > >were in the gABI spec before anyone started using .note sections for
> > >this.
> > >

> > Because AFAICS, it's a defacto, unwritten standard. Even if it violates
> > spec.
> >
> > NIH is a matter of perspective. FreeBSD could be considered to be in NIH
> > mode, because the other ELF based systems use a different method.
>
> I seem to recall that NetBSD invented .note.ABI-tag and pushed it back
> to the binutils folks.

Interestingly, the LSB (Linux Standards Body) version 1.1.0 has it documented
as Linux specific.

My whole take on the ELF aspect is that we should use EI_OSABI and
EI_ABIVERSION and stop trying to be more compliant than the standard
allows. It's basicly a mess and nobody is truely compliant anyway.
The new draft has EI_OSABI and EI_ABIVERSION documented for years, so
I think we can speculatively use it.

If our toolchain throws in a .note.ABI-tag section than so be it;
we might as well give it sensible contents. I don't think we should
use it as the primary means to select the ABI though.

FWIW,