Date:      Sun, 30 Dec 2001 14:48:20 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        hetzels@westbend.net, jeh@FreeBSD.ORG, sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG, joseph@randomnetworks.com, lioux@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www Makefile ports/www/frontpage-es  Makefiledistinfo pkg-comment

On Sat 2001-12-29 (11:44), Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> > While  one port  for the  FrontPage Web  Admin pages  would be  ideal,
> > how  would  bento  build  it (all  languages,  default  language,  one
> > package/language)?
>
> Something  needs to  be  done to  Bento  to be  able  to build  multiple
> packages from the same port. This is another task altogether. After all,
> Bento is  not part of the  FreeBSD distribution -- it  is our "in-house"
> project.

Last time I brought this up, I got told ``We're never going to do that
again!''.  Read the cvs log of bsd.port.mk, revisions 1.294 and 1.298.

> > No need to re-build the FrontPage Extentsion port with the language of
> > your  choice.  Also,  allows  you  to  install  additional  or  remove
> > FrontPage Web Admin language packages .
>
> Makes sense.  If only we weren't  so fixated on the  pre-built packages,
> there'd be nothing to talk about.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with you that we should just ignore the
pre-built packages.  Especially since the main reason I've heard
expressed by people as to why they don't use FreeBSD (besides certain
people) is that we have low-quality binary packages and binary package
management (relative especially to Debian).

> > Something like:
> >      @comment PORT_BUILD_OPTION=%%PORT_OPTIONS%%
>
> No, a whole "language" will need to be devised -- using make's variables
> to describe which options exist, and whether they are mutually exclusive
> (radio buttons)  or lists or  on/off, etc... During  interactive builds,
> the bsd.ports.mk will also be able to use this to inform the user of the
> possible  options  (some  ports  do  it themselves  now).

I wrote something to support all this back in June 1999, look in the
archives for portconf or pdlg or something.

> But this is off-topic -- it is up  to the "Bento team" to devise the new
> scheme -- the existing "one package per port" one is insufficient.

No, like everything, it's up to the person complaining to actually get
the work done - either by motivating others to do the work, or doing it
themselves.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner