Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2005 01:26:13 -0600
From:      Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC <chad@shire.net>
Subject:   noob question on disk sizes and inode density

Ok

I have an md(4) file system that I changed the block size and inode
density on.  The file was about 1.3GB in size originally and when
using newfs with standard parameters shows about 1.3GB in size.  My
new parameters to newfs  ( -f 512 -b 4096 -i 1024 -U -O 2) are meant
to allow a lot of small files (basically lots of files around
170bytes long).  (holding mail "tuples" for a sort of grey listing)

However, df (df -h or df -m etc) shows 1.0Gb instead of 1.3Gb for the
file system size.  Is the "missing" ~ 300mb the extra space needed to
store the actual extra inodes themselves or is it an artifact of
changing the parameters so that df gets confused?

Thanks
Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC