Date:      Tue, 3 Jul 2001 23:16:07 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "David Caldwell" <dns@knology.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Certification

I'd like to start a discussion about this topic as I've been
pondering a few questions related to this myself.

To start with it's been my observation that certifications are
desired for one of 3 general reasons:

a) Employment: employers want people to have them to make it easier to weed
out
a flood of applicants, candidates want them to be able to apply for certain
jobs.

b) Personal Pride: people want the certification so they can make their
pedegree
look bigger, have one more certificate on the wall, etc.

c) Education: Students hope getting the certification will help them learn
about the thing they want to get certified on.

Now, I would speculate that for BSD, reason number 1 is nonexistent, and for
reason number 2 the type of people that want another notch aren't going to
be the type that want it from BSD.  That leaves reason number 3, the
education part.

Now, there's some certification programs that do a fairly good job of the
education part, the Cisco CNE is probably one.  Most though are not aimed at
educating, instead they are political.  (note that this has nothing to do
with how "hard" the certification is to get)  For example, the MCSE from
Microsoft is most definitely not about education (apologies to the MCSE's in
the crowd here) as the materials I've reviewed on MCSE's are rather outdated
when it comes to the networking part in particular.  For example they only
even started discussing classless IP addressing last year in the official
MCSE curriculum.  That certification is more about Microsoft being able to
use the fact that it has a certification as a marketing plus to sell more
Windows.  I still do have respect for the folks that get it but mainly
respect at the fact that they went to the trouble and completed it, not that
I thought it was particularly hard for most of them to get.  Even the Cisco
CNA is like this, it teaches little and is mainly there to teach people what
a router looks like, it's more about advertising the Cisco name than
anything else.

With FreeBSD, there is no central company with an axe to grind to see the
world filled with CFE's (Certified FreeBSD Engineers? ;-)) so your not going
to see the funding from anyone for a "vanity" or "marketing" CFE
certification program.  Instead, any certification program that anyone puts
together is going to have to be aimed at reason number 3 - the education
part.  At least, that's the reasoning that I keep coming up with.

Now, once a CFE program DOES exist and has critical mass, why then certainly
it would be able to address reasons number 1 and 2 as well as
marketing/political reasons.  But to get there a certification program would
need to start out shooting for reason number 3.

So, now we have kind of a "were we need to be at" premise, you next need to
address the issue of accreditation.  All accreditation really is, boiled
down, is a blessing by someone who everyone agrees is _the_ authority on the
topic.

An unaccredited certification program is worthless.  You see these all the
time - for example our local community college has loads of "certifications"
they will issue in Computer Information Technology but nothing in that
program is transferrable to anything else because none of it is accredited.
They ALSO have real, live CompSci courses that ARE accredited and thus can
be transferred.

With the vendor-certifications, like the CNE and the MCSE, the vendors
themselves do the accreditation, or at least are supposed to.

With FreeBSD, once again the lack of a single central authority on the
project means that a vendor of a FreeBSD certification program is not going
to be able to get accreditation on any kind of CFE program.  In short, _who_
out there is _the_ authority that can say whether some vendor's FreeBSD
certification program is good or not?

There's lots of people out there, even myself, who could _write_ a FreeBSD
curriculum and certification program.  But without a single FreeBSD body to
bless it, it seems to me that it's worthless.  for example, if New Horizons
hired someone like me to write a FreeBSD certification program, how would
you as a student be able to trust that the information the program is
teaching is even correct?