Date:      Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:04:32 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: emacs vs. vi key-bindings in zsh

In the last episode (Nov 04), Ben Rosengart said:
> I know this is only marginally appropriate for this list, please
> forgive me.  On some, but not all, of my FreeBSD machines, zsh is
> using vi bindings. I have looked through the zsh docs and haven't
> been able to find out how to control whether it uses vi or emacs
> bindings.  Does anyone here know? TIA.

man zshzle, about 30 lines down:

   Bindings
       Command bindings may be set  using  the  bindkey  builtin.
       There  are  two  keymaps-the main keymap and the alternate
       keymap.  The alternate keymap is bound to vi command mode.
       The  main  keymap  is  bound to emacs mode by default.  To
       bind the main keymap to vi insert mode,  use  bindkey  -v.
       However,  if one of the VISUAL or EDITOR environment vari-
       ables contain the string vi when the shell starts  up  the
       main keymap will be bound to vi insert mode by default.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com