Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 08:38:21 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't open /dev/rfd0: Device not configured

Upgraded from 3.1-stable to 3.2-stable this weekend using "make world".
Then needed to write a DOS floppy and found mtools failed:

% mdir a:
Can't open /dev/rfd0: Device not configured
Cannot initialize 'A:'
% fdformat /dev/rfd0.1440
fdformat: /dev/rfd0.1440: Device not configured
% ls -l /dev/rfd0
crw-rx----  9 root  operator    9,   0 May 24 08:24 /dev/rfd0
% id
uid=928(dkelly) gid=928(dkelly) groups=928(dkelly), 0(wheel), 5(operator), 68(dialer)
% dmesg | grep fdc
fdc0 at 0x3f0-0x3f7 irq 6 drq 2 on isa
fdc0: FIFO enabled, 8 bytes threshold
%

Built a new kernel too. My selections are a subset of GENERIC, the fdc
stuff was untouched.

What broke? It used to work with earlier 3.1's. It appears dmesg sees
the floppy device. Is it something I'm doing?