Date:      Sat, 9 Mar 2013 22:49:36 +0100
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stephen Montgomery-Smith <stephen@missouri.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Questions about ldconfig

--b/3kIrr+SWblMf9a

On Sat, Mar 09, 2013 at 03:21:00PM -0600, Stephen Montgomery-Smith wrote:
> I am looking at committing a port which creates the following files:
>=20
> /usr/local/lib/libGmsh.so
> /usr/local/lib/libGmsh.so.0
> /usr/local/lib/libGmsh.so.2.7
> /usr/local/lib/libGmsh.so.2.7.0
>=20
> libGmsh.so is a link to libGmsh.so.0, which is a link to libGmsh.so.2.7,
> which is a link to libGmsh.so.2.7.0.
>=20
> My concern is that this will confuse ldconfig.  Is my concern justified?

It will not confuse the os at all but it will confuse ldconfig -r which is =
not
able to list libraries ending with more that one digit. Which is just
informational, so not a big deal except that bsd.port.mk is not clever enou=
gh to
correctly deal with libraries. so only detection from ports will be confuse=
d,
all the rest will work.

https://wiki.freebsd.org/ports/fix_lib_depends

for more details