Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 10:18:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        peter@sweda.com.hk (peter kok)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail to root, or dedicated person

peter kok wrote,
> Hello
>
> i would like to know how to make 'notifiy mail'
> to dedicated person or root
> when the system has some problems

I am not sure I understand exactly what ''notify mail'' is. I assume
you want the system to notify someone via email where there are
critical system errors? This can be done with syslog. For example, you
could have a line like:

*.emerg		  |mail -s "$HOST EMERGENCY Message" emerg_list

Where 'emerg_list' is a alias on the local machine with the email
address of the people you want to notify.

One caution, now that I think about it, that may not work properly. I
don't think syslog will send an EOT to mail. You may need to put some
program in front of mail that will read one line of input and then
pass it to mail. Then it would look more like,

*.emerg		 |/usr/local/libexec/syslog_mail.sh -s "$HOST EMERGENCY Message" emerg_list

If you put it all in a shell script.