Date:      28 May 2002 17:42:54 +1000
From:      Andrew Reilly <areilly@bigpond.net.au>
To:        jos@catnook.com
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: non-root /var/run files (was Re: Sendmail, smmsp, and pid file)

Just fwiw (probably nothing), I'd like to express a strong "yes please"
vote for a move in this direction.

I currently use djb's daemontools to manage qmail and dnsserver+tinydns,
and am pretty sure that I'm going to migrate the rest of my
/usr/local/etc/rc.d services under there too, now that I have a
reasonable understanding of how it works.  None of these run as root, so
.pid files wouldn't work well anyway.

About the only thing that daemontools doesn't offer in this regard is
the sort of dependency-directed start order being discussed for the new
/etc/rc.d (and present in NetBSD).  I'm not sure what to make of that.
I suspect that djb just expects services that depend on other services
to wait around until the other service is running (perhaps by exiting so
that the service manager can start it again five seconds later).  I'm
not sure that I can see a problem with that, frankly: not being able to
cope with unresponsiveness of some other service implies fragility in
the face of restarting or failure of that other service.  Maybe there
are races or deadlocks that way?

--
Andrew