Date:      Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:13:18 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>, "Danny Pansters" <danny@ricin.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: New Logo

Chad this is bullshit.  First of all the ENTIRE point of this new logo is
to increase USE of FreeBSD among the people that allegedly will not
use it because of religious "devil" objections.  IN SHORT, this logo
is FOR THE USERS, NOT FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE PROJECT.

And for the users that AREN'T EVEN CURRENTLY USERS YET!

And you are arguing those users should not have a say because
they are not in the project?  And the users in the project shouldn't
have a say because their betters know better?  I thought FreeBSD
was a collaborative, community effort.  Sounds a bit high-handed
to me, don't you think?

It's kind of like one day I show up at your door and say that "you
need a neighborhood association" and proceed to go down to the
city and go through all the paperwork and Bang - now there's a
neighborhood association in charge of your neighborhood.  Then I
proceed to get some deed restrictions passed that prohibit you
from painting your house purple, or bright orange, or putting yard
gnomes in your yard, in the name of neighborhood beautification.
Then pretty soon I get the association to pass some rules that
prohibit people from parking cars on the street in front of their
house.  Then I get some rules requiring you to mow your lawn every
weekend.

You never asked for any of this but because "I" have gone through
channels and manipulated the politics and paperwork that the city
has setup for these associations, now you have to kowtow.  BUT,
-I- and doing this FOR YOU.  Now, why aren't you appreciative?

In any case from what I've seen the committers IN the project
didn't have a say either.  They got to vote on the contest results,
they DID NOT get to vote on whether to have the contest at all.

Kind of like how most governments operate - you can choose a
candidate but you can't choose to NOT have the position filled
when it's clearly obvious its unneeded.

If the Project really needed a logo separate from Beastie then
we could have simply cut off his head and made the head the
logo.  That's what NetBSD did a number of years ago before
they got politically correctified.  But as I've pointed out before,
Beastie WAS the logo!

Ted