Date:      Thu, 25 Jan 1996 21:40:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: WARNING: proposed change to samba port

On Wed, 24 Jan 1996, J Wunsch wrote:

> As Charles Henrich wrote:
> >
> > >It would be best to gather rough consensus among the users first.
> > >Feel free to twist arms.
> >
> > Im against, I like significant system packages to live in their own tree (e.g.
> > /usr/X11R6)
>
> This (as well as X11) is against the policy that /usr can be mounted
> read/only.

Ok, that's an argument ... I should have read your reply before
writing so much ... But I think this problem could be solved easily
by permitting packages, that write log / lock - files, to write
them to a proper place into /var...

	Andreas ///

--
andreas@knobel.gun.de       /\/\___  Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH