Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 23:27:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   O_EXCL

In the man page for open, it says that O_EXCL causes symlinks not to
be followed.  However, when I was reading the code, I found that its
broken.  In the open syscall, it does NDINIT with the FOLLOW flag already
set, and then in vn_open, which is called shortly thereafter with the
nameidata struct, it does:

if ((fmode & O_EXCL) == 0)
    ndp->.... |= FOLLOW;\

It looks to me like its broken, and either it should be fixed with the
trivial fix, or the documentation for open fixed.

-josh