Date:      Sat, 08 Nov 1997 00:20:33 -0600
From:      Tom Schenk <tschenk@dejanews.com>
To:        faq@freebsd.org
Subject:   Answer to FAQ question 8.8

8.8  How do I boot FreeBSD and Linux from LILO?

It is quite easy to boot FreeBSD from LILO.  Here is an example
lilo.conf
file for my system that currently runs Windows 95, Linux, and FreeBSD.
The
root partitions for Linux and FreeBSD both reside on my IDE disk which
is
partitioned as follows:

Partition	Type	OS	Linux Device Name	FreeBSD Device Name
    1           VFAT   Win 95      /dev/hda1                /dev/wd0s1
  * 2           EXT2   Linux       /dev/hda2                /dev/wd0s2
    3.          FFS    FreeBSD     /dev/hda3                /dev/wd0s3
    4           EXT2   Linux       /dev/hda4                /dev/wd0s4

Partition 2 (marked with the asterisk) is set active and LILO is
installed
there instead of the Master Boot Record.  The lilo.conf file below
presents
me with a menu (contained in the lilo.msg file also below).  I simply
press
the appropriate number and press return.  If I do nothing, the first OS
in
the lilo.conf file is the default (in this case Linux 2.0.31).

Anyhow, here is the lilo.conf file:

-----------------------------Start of
lilo.conf---------------------------
# LILO configuration file
# generated by 'liloconfig'
#
# Start LILO global section
boot = /dev/hda2   # install on Linux root partition
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
message = /etc/lilo.msg   # Display this file before the boot prompt
prompt                    # wait for a keypress or until the timeout
timeout = 300             # listed here expires (300 = 30 seconds)
verbose = 3
vga = normal    # force sane state
ramdisk = 0     # paranoia setting
# End LILO global section

# Linux bootable partition config begins
image = /boot/vmlinuz-2.0.31
  root = /dev/hda2
  label = 2
  read-only # mounted read-only for checking
# Linux bootable partition config ends

# DOS bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda1
  label = 1
  table = /dev/hda
# DOS bootable partition config ends

# FreeBSD bootable partition config begins
other = /dev/hda3
  label = 3
  table = /dev/hda
# FreeBSD bootable partition config ends
---------------------------------End of
lilo.conf------------------------

And Here is the lilo.msg file that is referenced in the global config
section above that presents my little menu.  The first character in the
file is a Ctrl-L, which clears the screen.

--------------------------------Start of
lilo.msg------------------------
^L
LILO Operating System Boot Loader

    1 - Windows 95
    2 - Linux (2.0.31)
    3 - FreeBSD (2.2.1)

Defaults to Linux (2.0.31) in 30 seconds.

---------------------------------End of
lilo.msg-------------------------

The only other thing I had to do was to not install the boot loader
during
my FreeBSD installation.  Once I had FreeBSD installed, I used fdisk to
change the active partition from /dev/wd0s3 back to /dev/wd0s2.

Tom Schenk

--

 | Tom Schenk            | Linux   - For IQs Higher Than 95! | These
opinions |
 | Systems Administrator +-----------------------------------+ are
MINE!!  Go |
 | tschenk@theoffice.net | FreeBSD - Live Free Or Die!       | get your