Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:46:37 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Bill Broderick <billbroderick@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What do I do now?

Bill Broderick wrote:

> all I can see are a bunch of files and I don't know that much about
> unix.

Now would be a great time to learn :-) Some people would recommend
buying a book, which probably is a good idea, but I think I've learnt
a fair bit without a book, I just need to buy a book on C now. Playing
around with Unix is a good way to learn about it. (Don't play around
when you're root though, it would be too easy to delete something vital.
At least not until you've learned a lot about it, even then it's probably
only to be root when you really need to be.)

> Can I have a description of what files come in the package and what they
> do?

The hier(7) manpage explains what each directory is for, but not each
file. If it's a program and you want to know what is does, read the man
page, eg

$ man gcc

> Does X-windows come in the package.

It's in the ports collection.

# cd /usr/ports/x11/XFree86
# make install

That's it, I think.

> I have that on my dos drive but I don't know how to get to it from Unix

Add lines like these to /etc/fstab:

/dev/wd0s1	/dos/c		msdos	rw			0	0
/dev/wd0s5	/dos/d		msdos	rw			0	0
/dev/wd0s6	/dos/e		msdos	rw			0	0

Obviously your disknames may vary, "/dev/wd0s1" means the first harddisk
(wd0), first slice (s1). /dos/wd0s5 and ..s6 are DOS extended
partitions.

> and I can't even read from the floppy drive in Unix.

For a DOS floppy,
mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

For a Unix floppy,
mount /dev/fd0 /mnt

Note that you _must not_ remove the floppy while it's mounted, use
`umount':

umount /mnt

The same goes for CDROMs, but the eject button on my CD drive does
nothing while it's mounted, nice that, saved me ejecting disks while it
was mounted a few times. :-)

--
Ben Smithurst                                          ben@scientia.demon.co.uk