Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 23:28:54 +1000 (EST)
From:      Paul Koch <pak@mns.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange BPF / tcpdump problem.

I had a strange problem today that I can only assume is a bug in the
way BPF taps off packets in the ethernet interfaces. I saw the following:

A stock FreeBSD-2.2.6 machine was connected to a BAY stackable 100M
Ethernet switch via a SMC9432 NIC, using the tx driver. At bootup, the
kernel probe messages showed that the interface was auto configured to
100M Full Duplex. The machine was running our Statscout network monitoring
software connected to BAY Networks internal network. I was running
tcpdump to check some things and everything looked good.

A little while later, the BAY switch was replaced with a 10M ethernet
hub because the switch was needed elsewhere. The tx0 interface
automatically changed to 10M half duplex. The box was not rebooted at
this stage. Everything continued on with no problems until I ran tcpdump
and my statistical lan analyser which also uses the BPF device.
Interestingly, each packet that was transmitted by the FreeBSD box was
displayed twice by tcpdump.

ie. ping someplace

  echo request
  echo request
  echo reply

My statistical lan analyser also double counted the packets transmitted
from the machine. A seperate LAN analyser connected to the same hub showed
that the FreeBSD machine really only sent one 'echo request' and not two.

I have looked through the if_tx.c source but cannot find why this would
happen. I also looked though other if_xx.c code and have a thought that
the same problem may exist for other interfaces.

Has anyone seen this before ?

	thanks.

Paul Koch
Director, Support and Development
Email: pak@mns.com.au                   Micro Network Services Pty Ltd
Web:   http://www.mns.com.au            Level 6, 360 Queen St,
Phone: +61 7 32294750                   Brisbane, Queensland, 4000
Fax:   +61 7 32294506                   Australia