Date:      Tue, 9 Jun 1998 10:26:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Craig Spannring <cts@internetcds.com>
To:        Angelo Nardone <ang@adinet.com.uy>
Cc:        freebsd-database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   TDDS? Was Re: SQL server, Oracle

Angelo Nardone writes:
 > I need to make a query to an Oracle (NT) server, and a SQL server from a
 > process
 > runing in FreeBSD.
 > Do anybody know how ?

I don't know about Oracle, but I have some programs running on FreeBSD
that access a MS SQLServer database.

Please don't judge me to harshly but what I'm doing right now is
running a Java RMI server on an NT machine.  The program I have on the
FreeBSD side is a Java application that connects to the ODBC-JDBC
bridge via the RMI server on the NT box.  It ain't pretty, but it
works.  There are also a few companies that have JDBC drivers that can
talk to SQLServer.

Ideally I would like to write a library to access the SQLServer (and
Sybase) via the Tabular Data Stream (TDS) protocol, but TDS is
undocumented, proprietary, confidential and the people that know
anything about it have been sworn to secrecy upon pain of death.

I've looked at a few packet dumps of what SQLServer sends over the
wire.  It looks pretty simple if someone wanted to reverse engineer
it.