Date:      Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:19:55 -0500
From:      Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@CS.WM.EDU>
To:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is splash in GENERIC?

On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 08:36:21PM -0500, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> I noticed the thread a little while ago about shrinking the kernel to
> get it on the release floppies (was that here or on hackers?) and splash
> seems like a good candidate for the chopping block. AFAICT it's not
> required if you don't want a splash screen and the install disks aren't
> set up for a default splash screen. I just tried making a kernel without
> splash and it seems to work fine, in fact I'm writing this email on the
> same machine. Of course, I've only been running this kernel for a few
> minutes so I guess something bad could crop up. Is there any reason its
> included in GENERIC?

Don't mix the shrinking of the kernel to fit on the boot floppy
(something that is really necessary) with shrinking features in GENERIC.
GENERIC should be, well, _generic_. It contains as much useful features
and drivers as necessary to satisfy most users/hardware.

You are free to optimise your kernel for your machine/preferences of
course. If you do not have SCSI -- no need to have those drivers in the
kernel. If you do not like splash screen, so be it.

--
Zvezdan Petkovic <zvezdan@cs.wm.edu>
http://www.cs.wm.edu/~zvezdan/