Date:      Thu, 18 Feb 1999 10:40:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        ralphw@interworld.net
Subject:   Linux emulation problem in 3.1

I have a customer's linux program (BIG, and opaque to us; we have no
source, nor do they), which complains "ELF interpreter
/compat/linux/lib/ld-linux.so.1 not found".  This happens with either
compiled-in linux emulation or the dynamically-loaded kld one.

We know that the linux emulation is loaded and basically works (e.g.
acrobat reader works just fine with no changes, and after I've started
acroread the customer's program still fails).  The headers of his elf
file and acrobat's look nearly the same, with the string "/lib/ld-linux.so.1"
being exactly the same.

I don't know if the customer's program might be exec'ing some other and
the error message getting faked out?  I suspect not since the error message
comes out instantly.

Is there some difference in the fact that bsd is using ELF itself that
makes something strange (it *is* putting the compat path in the error
message, so it seems as if the linux-recognition works).

The same binary (md5 checks) works fine in 2.2.7 and 2.2.8 with dynamically
loaded linux emulation (on two different machines).  The ld-linux.so.1
and linux libraries look the same (length and date only; not md5 (yet)).

-- Pete