Date:      Tue, 15 May 2001 16:39:45 -0600
From:      "Bruce Allen" <claudevms@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-smp@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <claudevms@home.com>
Subject:   Ready to code... When can I start?

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C0DD5D.A640DE60

Hi,

Operating system internals are fun. I just wish I had more time - I'm =
married!
What can I work on? I once added context switching to PC-XINU for the =
math co-processor.
I have programmed in assembly language and I know C.=20

Has anyone looked at how VMS handles interrupts (HW and SW)? I have, but =
I'm partial to VMS.
How about how VMS does threading? Or perhaps how VMS has asynchronous =
system traps (ASTs)
for allowing the programmer to do asynchronous programming. NT stole =
ASTs from VMS and=20
broke them. There's many ways to skin the cat - unless you are an animal =
rights person.
I would love to see FreeBSD implement an interrptable kernel and support =
the execution of application code
in kernel mode through a system call. The global lock approach I read =
about on your site sounds=20
like how DOS serialized its I/O - yuk! Other OSes have good features =
that FreeBSD could benefit from.

The Lustre project is attempting to create a VMS-like distributed lock =
manager for Linux. I am working on
doing the same thing for FreeBSD since I like the FreeBSD license =
agreement better. I am also working on how=20
to make a share everything cluster work on FreeBSD. I'm still in the =
very early stages.

What efforts need help? My current job is boring and I miss the hell out =
of software development - however it pays well!

Thanks,

Bruce

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C0DD5D.A640DE60

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Operating system internals are fun. I just wish I =
had more=20
time - I'm married!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>What can I work on? I once added context switching =
to PC-XINU=20
for the math co-processor.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have programmed in assembly language and I know C. =

</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Has anyone looked at how VMS handles interrupts (HW =
and SW)? I=20
have, but I'm partial to VMS.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>How about how VMS does threading? Or perhaps how VMS =
has=20
asynchronous system traps (ASTs)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>for allowing the programmer to do asynchronous =
programming. NT=20
stole ASTs from VMS and </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>broke them. There's many ways to skin the cat - =
unless you are=20
an animal rights person.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I would love to see FreeBSD implement an =
interrptable kernel=20
and support the execution of application code</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>in kernel mode through a system call. The global =
lock approach=20
I read about on your site sounds </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>like how DOS serialized its I/O - yuk! Other OSes =
have good=20
features that FreeBSD could benefit from.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>The Lustre project is attempting to&nbsp;create a =
VMS-like=20
distributed lock manager for Linux.&nbsp;I am working on</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>doing the same thing for FreeBSD since I like the =
FreeBSD=20
license agreement better. I am also working on how </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>to make a share everything cluster work on FreeBSD. =
I'm still=20
in the very early stages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>What efforts need help? My current job is boring and =
I miss=20
the hell out of software development - however it pays =
well!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Bruce</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C0DD5D.A640DE60--