Date:      Sun, 05 Dec 1999 20:41:04 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mohit Aron <aron@cs.rice.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: new Intel 100Mbps card

> 	I got some new Intel 10/100Mbps network interfaces recently, but
> unfortunately found that FreeBSD (version 4.0-19990827-CURRENT) doesn't
> recognize them. These are called the "Intel InBusiness 10/100 PCI Network
> Adaptor". Unfortunately, these are the only ones supported in the stores now,
> so I can't find the older 10/100+ and 10/100B kind.
>
> After looking at the boot messages, I found that these cards have a device_id
> of 0x1030 - which is different than the one supported by the fxp driver in
> FreeBSD (0x1229 - defined in /sys/pci/if_fxpreg.h as FXP_DEVICEID_i82557).
> I changed the driver (fxp_probe() function in /sys/pci/if_fxp.c) to also
> recognize the device_id 0x1030. The cards now work, but I haven't stress tested
> them for performance.

Bah.  It sounds like an Intel ploy so that they can trivially identify
these cards and put the "right" name up in the Windows network setup box.
This isn't quite what the idea was with PCI IDs originally. 8(

> Can someone tell me if the fxp driver is compatible with these cards (at least
> it seems to work). If so, it'll be nice if the future releases of the driver
> also support this card.

It's probably reasonable to assume that if the driver works at all, it'll
work just fine.  You can help us out here by looking closely at the large
funny-looking chip on the card and telling us what the part numbers on it
are, since that's the only way for us to work out what the part actually
is.  There's quite a good chance that it's a part we already support, and
all that Intel have done is change the PCI device ID in the EEPROM.