Date:      Wed, 22 Jan 2003 16:33:42 -0600
From:      jdunham@texas.net
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KVM (keyboard-video-mouse) Switch

On 22 Jan 2003 at 16:32, Bill Moran wrote:

> David Bear wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 03:21:41PM -0500, Justin P. Michel wrote:
> >
> >>I have an electronic KVM that I want to use to switch between my crappy
> >>system, and my FreeBSD system.  The keyboard and mouse work fine on my
> >>crappy system, but, on the FreeBSD system, they work fine on startup, but
> >>after switching back and forth only once, the mouse (LED mouse) starts
> >
> > I'm using a linksys kvm switch to go between linux (rh 7.3), freebsd
> > (4.6), and windows2000.  The only problem I have is with win2000.  The
> > switch must be set to that machine during windows startup or windows
> > doesn't think there's a mouse..
>
> I acutally had a similar problem between two FreeBSD systems.  I have a
> tendency to believe that whether or not a KVM works reliably is more
> dependent on the PC hardware than the OS.
> In our case, the workaround was to ensure that the KVM was set to the
> system that was actively being [re]booted.  As long as that's done,
> we've had no problems.

I've used a number of different brands of KVM and have had the best
success with the IOGear MiniView SE, in 2-, 4-, and 8-port versions.
The only problem I've seen has been that my old FreeBSD 2.2.6 <blush>
system occasionally won't boot properly unless the KVM is set to it,
but that seems to occur less than 10% of the time.  I've seen a LOT of
trouble with some other brands of KVM, though I'm sure there are other
good ones out there.  I agree that hardware, particularly the KVM
itself, is a bigger factor than the OS.

--
Jerry Dunham
M3 Design, Inc.