Date:      Thu, 24 Jan 2008 20:45:06 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        jackbarnett@gmail.com
Cc:        Robert Eckardt <rol@robert-eckardt.de>, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>, Freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: VM Options

Jack Barnett wrote:

> Robert Eckardt wrote:
>> It depends on what you want to do.
>
> To clarify, I would like to run Windows XP at least
>
> VMWare runs WinXP beautifully - but unfortunately VMWare doesn't well
> under FreeBSD.
> Last time I tried Qemu it was fairly slow.
>
> So Jail, Qemu and VMWare crossed off the list, any other options?

While Qemu is normally slow, there was a SoC project to add KVM
(Kernel-based Virtual Machine) support to FreeBSD - it uses the
virtualization features built in to modern Intel and AMD CPUs.  It
speeds things up substantially. For more information go to
http://feanor.sssup.it/~fabio/freebsd/lkvm/

If that doesn't work then you could also try emulators/kqemu-kmod/ -
while it doesn't take advantage of the VT or SVM features in modern
CPUs, it allows Qemu to run a lot of code natively and so speeds things
up quite a bit.

--
Bruce