Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 2017 19:18:37 -0800
From:      "K. Macy" <kmacy@freebsd.org>
To:        Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: bhyve uses all available memory during IO-intensive operations

One thing to watch out for with chyves if your virtual disk is more
than 20G is the fact that it uses 512 byte blocks for the zvols it
creates. I ended up using up 1.4TB only half filling up a 250G zvol.
Chyves is quick and easy, but it's not exactly production ready.

-M

On Thu, Nov 30, 2017 at 3:15 PM, Dustin Wenz <dustinwenz@ebureau.com> wrote=
:
> I'm using chyves on FreeBSD 11.1 RELEASE to manage a few VMs (guest OS is=
 also FreeBSD 11.1). Their sole purpose is to house some medium-sized Postg=
res databases (100-200GB). The host system has 64GB of real memory and 112G=
B of swap. I have configured each guest to only use 16GB of memory, yet whi=
le doing my initial database imports in the VMs, bhyve will quickly grow to=
 use all available system memory and then be killed by the kernel:

>         kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 1735,size 4=
096, error 12
>         kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 1610,size 4=
096, error 12
>         kernel: swap_pager: I/O error - pageout failed; blkno 1763,size 4=
096, error 12
>         kernel: pid 41123 (bhyve), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
>
> The OOM condition seems related to doing moderate IO within the VM, thoug=
h nothing within the VM itself shows high memory usage. This is the chyves =
config for one of them:

>         bargs                      -A -H -P -S
>         bhyve_disk_type            virtio-blk
>         bhyve_net_type             virtio-net
>         bhyveload_flags
>         chyves_guest_version       0300
>         cpu                        4
>         creation                   Created on Mon Oct 23 16:17:04 CDT 201=
7 by chyves v0.2.0 2016/09/11 using __create()
>         loader                     bhyveload
>         net_ifaces                 tap51
>         os                         default
>         ram                        16G
>         rcboot                     0
>         revert_to_snapshot
>         revert_to_snapshot_method  off
>         serial                     nmdm51
>         template                   no
>         uuid                       8495a130-b837-11e7-b092-0025909a8b56
>

> I've also tried using different bhyve_disk_types, with no improvement. Ho=
w is it that bhyve can use far more memory that I'm specifying?