Date:      Sat, 25 Jun 2011 16:47:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Feenberg <feenberg@nber.org>
To:        =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Leon_Me=DFner?= <l.messner@physik.tu-berlin.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SAS controller for FreeBSD

---79550136-1637470725-1309034840=:6821

On Sat, 25 Jun 2011, Leon Meßner wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 06:51:37PM -0400, Daniel Feenberg wrote:

>> There are some SAS RAID controllers that claim to support FreeBSD but I
>> can't tell if their JBOD mode is a true pass-through, or leaves some
>> undesirable junk on the disk.
>>
>> So does anyone have a recomendation for a reasonably priced SAS
>> controller? We aren't looking for anything fancy at this point.
>
> We are using two of the LSI SAS2008 based cards here and have no
> problems with them. Be sure to run a recent STABLE as the mps driver is
> relatively new. Speed and reliability are very nice. The only thing we

February of this year:

   http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2011-February/004784.html

> are missing is IR-Firmware support but if you only want a HBA this won't
> bother you.

If I search the LSI website for "SAS2008" the first hit includes a
description of the chipset features, including the bullet point

   * Integrated RAID

All the cards on the LSI website that I can find using the SAS2008 chipset
include the sentence "Integrated RAID avoids additional host CPU overhead"
in their brief description, even the ones labeled "HBA". Apparently the
FreeBSD driver does not include an interface to the RAID capability, but
it seems that the chipset still provides it. I suppose this still avoids
controller lock in, so it should be satisfactory. Can I ask what model you
have?

Thanks
Daniel Feenberg