Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 03:00:35 +0100
From:      Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   rdump and blocksize?

Hi all!

I've been browsing though the mail archive looking for tips on setting a
good blocksize for rdump. My problem is the same as for many others:
rdump is slow, around 48KB/s.
I have checked the network cards, and troughput is very good otherwise
(using for example rcp). Some recommended raising the blocksize, which
seems like the right thing to do. Only, 64 KB is the limit. I don't see
it help very much. Often 10KB or 32 KB were recommended as good values.

So here's my main quiestion:
Do I have to fine tune the blocksize to some magic value where it's
synced with network & tape drive, or is bigger blocks == faster? I tried
10 KB, and didn't see any difference.

And the -B, is it only for calculating tape usage?

The tape is a Seagate using Travan TR-4, cartridge and compression, so
density is not very interresting, I presume.

Thanks for any help in clarifying, and speeding up, my rdumps.

Regards,
Palle