Date:      3 May 2000 22:27:06 +0200
From:      naddy@mips.inka.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSSH algorithms

Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com> wrote:

> Does our OpenSSH port only use the RSA algorithm?   I didn't see any
> options to use other algorithms (idea, etc) which may be free from
> patent issues.   This would be a good thing to have, IMHO, and would
> avoid all these other problems with RSA usage.
>
> Or did I miss something :)

Most importantly, you missed the destinction between asymmetric
encryption algorithms used for public key exchanges and symmetric
encryption used for most of the actual work. The SSH1 protocol is
fixed in its use of RSA for public keys. These are used for
authentication and to encrypt a temporary symmetric key. The latter
is used for actual data encryption during a session, since the
available symmetric encryption schemes are much faster.

SSH1 users can choose from a variety of symmetric encryption
algorithms. OpenSSH provides 3DES and Blowfish. IDEA was dropped
because it does suffer from patent issues.

The SSH2 protocol uses DSA for public keys. Apparently DSA is
unencumbered. The next release of OpenSSH (to be included in OpenBSD
2.7) will support SSH2. FreeBSD's OpenSSH will be updated as soon
as things have stabilized on the OpenBSD side.