Date:      Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:31:25 +0200
From:      Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
To:        Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>, David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "got bad cookie" warnings/errors?

Op zondag 10 augustus 2003 20:50, schreef Lars Eggert:

[snip]

> > I have a vague feeling they are related to a directory changing while it
> > is being read, and might mean that the NFS client sees an inconsistent
> > version of the directory. It's been a long time since I looked at it
> > though.
>
> Sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if is the case for me:

[snip]

Same here. There is really just one box here that does the bulk of the
writing, and that's my FreeBSD workstation on my desk. There are some other
machines mounting too (with wirite access), but they mostly only read from
nfs mounts, and maybe occasionally they might write something, but changing a
dir (moving? renaming? unlinking?) almost never happens. And no, I haven't
seen dataloss. I tried moving some very largish (multigigabyte) files over
and across, and never got corruption.

So, is this "cookie" message related to a bug? If it's non-critical, could it
perhaps be changed in such a way that it only prints when a kernel is booted
in verbose mode? It's kinda monty-pythonesquely irritating (The left wing is
/not/ on fire).

Cheers,
Emiel
--
"If the King's English was good enough for Jesus, it's good enough for
me!"