Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2006 09:30:40 +0000
From:      Robert Slade <bsd@bathnetworks.com>
To:        je killen <jekillen@prodigy.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Re FreeBSD v 6.0 (boxed cd set)

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 08:19, je killen wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2006, at 12:01 PM, je killen wrote:

> >> Sounds like it is trying to contact a dhcp server and then timing out.
> >> What does messages or your error logs say? They are in /var/logs
> couldn't find error log here but I gave it a FQDN in rc.conf and that
> solved
> the name delays.

> >> Check your sshd setup, see man sshd, there are some defaults set in
> >> the
> >> conf file there which are causing the restriction.
> found it in inetd.conf, just a matter of commenting a few lines; one
> for ftp
> (which is on my system, I thought so.) and the other for sshd.

I don't use inetd just rc.d. FBSD appears to boot faster that way. No
only that it saves looking in more than one place. I have not come
across anything that needs inetd.

> see above.
>

> >> You should have been asked if you wanted a ftp server during
> >> installation. The default is ftp. There are others in the ports
> >> though.
> >> See the handbook.

> >> The host name etc is set in /etc/rc.conf. Again you should have set
> >> this
> >> during installation. You can re run the installation process just type
> >> sysinstall.
>
> named is on the system but there's no configuration, just resolv.conf
> for resolver.
> I also had the machines own IP address set to default router when it
> should have
> at least been the http proxy server I use to get on the net.

> >> The default allows only members of the wheel group to su to root.
>
> Did it. Now I get into the machine from another host on the network
> and can su to root in console window.

> >> You should be able to log on as root and run an x session as root (not
> >> recommended).
>
> In the kdm login window as soon as it read root as the user name it
> informed
> me that root logins aren't allowed.

I don't really use KDM as such. Most of the work I do is command line
related and I login to the command prompt. If I need the gui I just
startx. It sound like KDM has another restriction to stop root logins in
its config. Sorry I cannot help more on this.

> >> See above. There could also be an issue with security, it depends how
> >> you set it during install.

> >> JK Welcome,

> >> the answers can be got from the handbook. I've tried to give you some
> >> pointers to help, but not too much as you do need to become familiar
> >> with the basics. There are a number of resources about, Google helps
> >> too. Be prepared for a number of reinstalls :-).
>
> you're right. I was just having a spell of laziness.
> >>
> >> A couple of pointers - try asking one question at a time and use a
> >> meaningful subject. That way your problem is likely to standout in the
> >> number of messages.
> >>
> >> I would also suggest that we you get the basic system working, you
> >> update it, your CDs are likely to be at 6.0R there has been some
> >> updates
> >> since. I would suggest that you stay with the 6.0 branch for now.
> >>
> >> Good luck.
> >>
> >> Rob
> >
> > Thanks
> > JK