Date:      Sat, 18 Oct 1997 09:16:32 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        lukas@reichardt.ch
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a.out <-> GNU CC

On Fri, Oct 17, 1997 at 11:48:41AM +0000, Lukas Ruf wrote:
> Hi Greg
>
> On Fri, 17 Oct 1997 19:38:44 +0930, you wrote:
>
>> For any version of a UNIX C compiler:
>>
>>  cc a.o b.o c.o
>>
>> In other words, you just specify the names of the object files.  If
>> you don't use -o, it will call the file a.out.
>>

> sorry, i have not got it.

Possibly you should get a book about the C programming language.  I
would recommend "The C programming Language", byu Kernighan and
Ritchie.

> BTW: why do you specify a list of object files for "cc" ?

That's what you asked for.

> If the default output format of a compiler/linker pair to produce an
> executable is ELF, how can I tell the compiler/linker pair to produce
> an a.out-format executable.

Ah, finally the question.  Can I assume that you want to link ELF
object files and produce an a.out executable?

> In other words: which command line options do I have to specify to
> make ld link a list of object files into an executable of format a.out
> (its name -- I know -- is specified by -o <name>, defaulting to
> "a.out").

Currently, this is speculation.  The default output format is a.out.
I can't tell you how this will be done, or if it will be done at all.

Greg