Date:      Wed, 10 Mar 1999 20:54:09 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Victor Salaman <salaman@teknos.com>
Cc:        "'Scott Mitchell'" <rsm@acm.org>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Colin Eric Johnson <colinj@cs.unm.edu>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, David Kulp <dkulp@neomorphic.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compatibility list

In message <608F4F76C94DD211B93100805F29063A8D83@TEKNOS>, Victor Salaman writes:
>It's about time someone said this Scott...
>[...]
>If I were not a technical personal, I wouldn't have been able to make my
>notebook PCIC controller work. Not even with 4.0-CURRENT or anything, just
>because the motivation in the core team is not out there...

Now, if this was intended to make anybody mad it was certainly a
valiant and direct attempt.

Right of the top of my head I know that at least Jordan, Sos and
I run laptops for a significant fraction of our existence, and I
have probably overlooked just about everybody else in the core team
with this statement.

I have sported my current .signature for at least a year, and I
think I was amongst the first unix laptop users around at all:
I ran 386bsd 0.0 on a 386sx laptop where it replaced Minix.  Before
that I ran Minix 1.1.5 on a 8088 based Toshiba T1100 (I still have
it btw :-)

"just becase the motivation in the core team is not out there..."

[SNORT!]

If you think you will only get PCCard support in FreeBSD if somebody
in -core does it, then you are not only about as wrong as you can
be, you are also an ungrateful bastard as well.

It doesn't really matter how much motivation the core-team has anyway,
I think there is plenty motivation, but unfortunately most of us also
have to survive in the real world.

I have to do things like BGP routing and mail-list management
because I happen to have a wife and two kids with most of the
mandatory accessories like a house and food at semi-regular intervals.

I would love to do pccard/cardbus full time, but it will take
somebody offering me sufficient monetary compensation that I can
keep my family warm, dry and fed.  Until that happens, I will have
to work on what people will pay me to do.

Poul-Henning
(Right now a pretty pissed off core team member)

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!