Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 2002 23:04:40 +0200
From:      Richard =?utf-8?B?xIxlcGFz?= <rch@richard.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Setting up Vhosting on Dynamic IP

I don't know if it works for vhost, but I use the following for apache:
NameVirtualHost 127.0.0.3:80
NameVirtualHost *:80
Listen 127.0.0.3:80
# _default_ catches all dynamic external addresses
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.3:80 _default_:80 >
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.3:80 *:80 >
</VirtualHost>

and this for ipfw:
00120 fwd 127.0.0.3 tcp from any to me 80 via tun0

On Tue Mar 12 14:56:37 2002 -0600 Server Admin wrote:

>Running FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE
>
>On a new server using DSL PPPoE, is it possible to set it up as a
>named-based host for vhosting. While I've read up on this and have a fairly
>good grasp, I'm still not (precisely) clear where the vhosts' aliases would
>go since I use a tunnel interface "tun0" for the external and have a
>dynamic IP (use Dynamic DNS host). I have the following components:
>
>1) Web Server is the gateway and a caching name server (named & BIND ) with
>two NICs
>2) Use Dynamic DNS service
>3) Running IPFW and NATD with packet divert to tun0
>4) Running Apache & Frontpage
>5) Interfaces:
>	a) rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>           inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
>	b) rl1: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>	c) tun0: flags=8051<UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 1492
>           inet xx.xxx.xx.xxx --> xx.xxx.xx.xxx netmask 0xffffffff
>
>6) Also should mention the above server is used for mail too. Sendmail &
>qpopper which I will have to configure for vhosts too.
>
>THE MAIN QUESTION (so far):
>If it is possible to set up virtual hosting without a static IP as above
>and if so, should the aliases for each vhost go with the rl0 interface..???
>
>Later on, I plan to move to a static IP with 6MBS DSL speeds, but more
>expensive. However, for now, I can make do with the slower DSL for the
>less-active hosts being moved over to this server at the beginning.
>Unfortunately, it comes with dynamic IP.
>
>Sorry the above is so long, but brief as possible. Appreciate any help on
>this.... thanks!
>.... our website: http://www.sage-one.net/
>
>Best regards,
>
>Jack L. Stone