Date:      Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:06:38 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@phaedrus.sandvine.ca>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LINUX vs FreeBSD mysql performance using a large RT database

On Fri, Oct 20, 2006 at 02:57:46PM -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> With all the threads about poor FreeBSD performance, I wanted to test
> it out myself to see how 64bit LINUX would compare using the same hardware.
[ snip ]

It seems your message ended up with some unfortunate line wrapping,
which made it a little hard to see at a glance what the results were.
Scott sent me them reformatted as:

                                                  BSD     LINUX
time mysql rt3 all.out (full import)              106m    123m
first full content search                         35.92   45.29
Second content search after first full content
  search                                          24.66   26.14
Subject search                                    0.48    0.35
4 different select scripts run at the same time
  on different tables                             62      59
create index Subject_IDX on Tickets (Sub          8.29    7.12

If this is what you measured, the results look fairly competitive.
Thanks for performing this real-world test and posting this info.

-Ed Maste