Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:18:47 +0100
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>, Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
Subject:   Re: lang/php5 port

On Wednesday 17 December 2008 04:33:51 Paul Schmehl wrote:
> --On December 16, 2008 7:33:31 PM -0600 Steve Bertrand <steve@ibctech.ca>
>
> wrote:
> > One of the reasons I've had to edit Makefile manually was because a
> > client needed JPEG support.
> >
> > At the time, `make config' didn't provide that option.
>
> You should *never* need to edit a Makefile in a port.  (Well, extremely
> rarely.)

More often then you think. I encourage understanding the system and editing to
suit your needs. It's a transparent system, unlike many others out there, so
you might as well make good use of it.

Though a lot of things can be handled by:
1) environment variables (temporary)
2) /etc/make.conf (permanent)
3) Makefile.local (permanent, inclusion is at bsd.port.pre.mk stage which
allows you to override hardcoded settings)

It is needed in some cases to edit the makefile to fix things or remove
dependencies that the maintainer didn't find necessary to remove or even to
fix bugs.
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.