Date:      Thu, 21 Feb 2002 12:12:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Linh Pham <question@closedsrc.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unknown Modifier 'c' when trying to 'make' a port

The machine is running FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE with the 41upgrade package
on an Intel x86 machine.

Last night, I decided to bring the ports collection on that production
server up to date so that I could install some of the ports that have
been modified since the last time I cvsup'd the ports collection (about
two months ago). I'm using the standard ports-supfile found in
/usr/share/examples/cvsup (changed the server to cvsup5.freebsd.org) and
disabled compression.

After the cvsup process finished, I went to /usr/ports/editors/vim/ and
tried to build and install that port (using 'make && make install') and
all I got was a spew of:

Unknown modifier 'c'

Unknown modifier '['

I tried to make some other frivilous ports (like misc/geekcode and
www/w3m) and got the same thing.

So I decided to blow out the ports directory and re-synced it using
cvsup. After a couple of minutes, I tried to build the port and got the
exact same thing.

Has anyone run into this problem before and know who to fix it?

Since it's a production server, I can't take the machine down except
late at night. Thanks!

--

Linh Pham                                       question@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                        http://closedsrc.org