Date:      23 Jan 2001 15:17:09 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@OutBounderInc.com>
To:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape Drive

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:17:14 -0900, Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org> said:

Beech> Hi, I need to add a tape drive to our network. Do you have any
Beech> suggestions as to a medium priced drive that is compatible with
Beech> 4.2? What about parallel drives?

I bought two Archive Python 4xDDS2 robots; first was $150, second was
about $250. A friend recently bought an HP1553 (?) 6xDDS2 robot for
about $350. All were SCSI.  Works like a charm under Amanda's robot
control. I like automated jukes because then the backups actually get
done :-)

Check refurb/surplus houses; search on "library", "archive" or
"jukebox".  www.ezsystems.com was where I got one of mine. While all
three of the above were "refurbished" I'd be money they were never
ever in service: the plastic and mounting holes have absolutely no
scratches.