Date:      Fri, 12 Nov 1999 19:37:32 +0200 (EET)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        "Andreas L. Gustafsson" <ante@Update.UU.SE>
Cc:        wosch@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for "free"

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, Andreas L. Gustafsson wrote:

> I was browsing by your webpages and I noticed that amongst the qualities
> of FreeBSD you write that it is free, i.e. costs you nothing.

Right. You can download all of freebsd.

> I'd like to point out that since the Free Software Foundation has used
> that word in a diffrent meaning, free as in freedom, using the same word
> as in "costs you no dollars" is sure to confuse people.

I think it's the opposite.

> Considering the so called "Open Software" community these days is studied
> closely by the press and a lot of people with little or no computer
> experience, I think it is in the interest of all to use a unabigous use of
> expression.

Right. Free should mean what free means. Zero cost is definately free.
But freebsd is even better than that - you can download the source to it.

> Please consider changing the phrasing and thereby not confuse people and
> making it harder to spread the word about software _freedom_. Thank you.

What's wrong with the wording? FreeBSD is definately both free and open
source software. The licence the various parts is under, is either:
	a) no more restrictive than the GPL
	b) GPL

> I am in no way a part of, or paid by, the Free Software Foundation, but
> a independant programmer/user that's deeply concerned about the issues
> about freedom and the philosophy of the FSF.

If you are concerned about the issues of freedom and the philosophy of
FSF, you should talk to them, not 'us' 8-)