Date:      Thu, 4 Mar 1999 14:44:36 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>, Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com
Subject:   Re: CCD vs vinum

On Wednesday,  3 March 1999 at 19:38:24 -0800, Ludwig Pummer wrote:
> At 06:13 PM 3/3/99 , Greg Lehey wrote:
>>>      How serious are the vinum bugs?
>>
>> Vinum is a much larger package than ccd.  To the best of my knowledge,
>> the part of vinum which corresponds to ccd is bug-free.  The bugs in
>> vinum are mainly of the shoot-yourself-in-the-foot variety, and
>> they're in the area of configuration management, which ccd doesn't
>> have.
>
> Configuration bugs like having two vinum volumes overlapping...I just shot
> myself in the foot by having a /usr2 and /var2 which overlapped.

Well, I think you'll find they didn't overlap.  There was a problem
where it would create a subdisk without storage (marked internally by
a drive offset of -1b), but didn't mark it down.  I fixed this problem
in a commit a day or two ago.

> I didn't notice until when I rebooted and vinum kept complaining
> about "size -1b" and other things (I won't quote them because I've
> already obliterated the vinum config).

No worries.

> I tried to wring every last sector out of my partition...guess I'll
> have to try (later...&#*$ homework now) with more conservative
> volume sizes.

If you wait a little while, I'm going to accept size 0 as "as large as
you can make it".  Might be a week or two.

Greg