Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:41:35 -0500
From:      jan <bunthaaar@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   new kernel installation - permission problem

Hi!

I have installed freebsd 4.2 on my system and re-compiled the kernel.
This is a 'new' box and i didn't know that it's something else than a
i586 but I only added 'cpu i586' to the kernel config, because of this i
get a kernel panic. Well, no problem. I just press some button when
freebsd starts to load and do 'unload' and 'load kernel.GENERIC' and
'boot' then I re-compiled my kernel again but the permissions on /kernel
are only rx for everyone. When I do 'make install' I get a permission
error, I'm root while installing the kernel. I also tried to delete
/kernel manually but again got a permission error - any ideas?

thanks,

jan